Translated Architectures. Photographing for Adolf Loos: Martin Gerlach jun.Sprache: englisch / English
Format: 21×21,5 cm
Preis: 15.00 €
Fotohof edition, Bd./vol. 262
Order book on ebay / Buch auf eBay bestellen
Contributions to a History of Photography in Austria, volume 16
Edited by Monika Faber for Photoinstitut Bonartes, Vienna, and Walter Moser for the Photographic Collection of the Albertina, Vienna
“So photography says nothing, you see.” Loos could not adhere to such enormous skepticism concerning the photographic representability of his architecture, however, when a monograph of his buildings was to be published in 1931. The Viennese photographer Martin Gerlach jun. was commissioned with taking pictures of the houses. Striving to translate the complex architecture resulting from Loos’s Raumplan (space planning) concept, Gerlach relied on different strategies partly influenced by photographic avant-garde movements. The Villa Moller in Vienna, built in 1928, provides an example for elucidating the inevitable tension between (objective) documentation and (subjective) interpretation. The surviving reproduction material, with its instructions for emphasis and retouches, testifies to how deeply the protagonists—Gerlach, Loos, and his associate Heinrich Kulka as editor of the publication—were involved in the process of visualizing the buildings and interiors.
Prelims and table of contents (PDF)
Walter Moser is art historian and head of the Photographic Collection of the Albertina, Vienna.
Translated Architectures. Photographing for Adolf Loos: Martin Gerlach jun.
21 × 21,5 cm, 112 pages
74 B&W and color plates
Deutsche Version: hier
Martin Gerlach jun., Moller House (Vienna), stairway to the first floor, c. 1930, gelatin silver print, airbrush retouches, 22,9 × 16,7 cm, Albertina, Vienna
Martin Gerlach jun., Moller House (Vienna), street façade, c. 1930, gelatin silver print, brush and airbrush retouches, 23 × 17,1 cm, Albertina, Vienna
Martin Gerlach jun., Kniže gentlemen’s outfitters (Vienna), stairway to the upper floor, c. 1930, gelatin silver print, 17 × 22,4 cm, Albertina, Vienna